Ensuring Local People are Heard when Important Decisions are made about their Services
Community engagement is at the heart of everything we do at Race Equality First. We have many years experience of consulting with diverse communities and ensuring that their voices are heard by policy and decision makers.
Consultations Recently Completed by REF:
- Convention on the Elimination of Racial Disacrimination - we responded to a call for evidence for the joint NGO submission to the Convention on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD) which was co-ordinated by Runneymede Trust. The UK is a signatory to CERD and as part of this process Runneymede Trust co-ordinated a joint NGO response across the UK.
- Consultations with BME communities for the Vale of Glamorgan Council on its Strategic Equality Plan.
- Advice and recommendations to Cardiff Council on its Strategic Equality Plan
- Focus group for Cardiff Council on BME Employment
- Anti-discrimination workshops delivered across 10 schools in Cardiff and 5 schools in the Vale of Glamorgan
- Development of an Integrated Strategy with partners across Cardiff, aimed at improved multiagency working and development of hate crime MARAC’s in Cardiff to provide a better service for victims.
- Consultation with Eastern European Migrants to develop a network for migrant workers living and working in the Vale of Glamorgan so they can get to know their local community, understand what they are entitled to, know their rights and responsibilities and play a fuller part in their local community
- Consultation on Welsh Assembly Government’s Advice Services Review
- Focus groups for George Thomas Hospice to increase BME access to palliative care
- 6 Focus Group sessions on Hate Crime, Community Engagement and Cultural Awareness for Cardiff Council Employees
- Consultation event on piloting a hate crime MARAC in Cardiff with 21 organisations reviewing the Government's race equality policies for the United Nation's Committee for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
- Roundtable discussion on the APPG Inquiry into Black, Bangladeshi and Pakistani female unemployment.
- Partnership work with Vale of Glamorgan Leisure Services to develop a marketing strategy to publicise community sport provision to BME women in the Vale
- We developed training for the Vale Youth Service on how to identify radicalisation and extremism and equipping the front line service providers with the necessary tools, skills and knowledge to help address concerns
- Consultation on ‘Supporting Victims, Dealing with Perpetrators’
- Focus group for victims of hate crime in partnership with Victim Support to inform a report for the new Police and Crime Commissioners to ensure they take the views of victims and witnesses into account
- We held an engagement meeting with the Public Services Ombudsmen for Wales on the Strategic Equality Plan
- We organised a focus group for the Older People’s Commissioner for Wales around the accessibility of services for older BME people