Policy and Consultation Service
We provide a lobbying voice for issues regarding diversity and anti-discrimination facing local communities. By developing policies and practices that promote equality for all, we contribute to a more inclusive, cohesive and sustainable society.
Policy Work Recently Completed by REF:
- 2 written contributions to Cardiff Council's Community & Adult Services Scrutiny Committee around Social Care Services for BME people and the impact of Welfare Reforms for BME people
- Race Equality First is a member of the Welsh Assembly Budget Advisory Group for Equalities (BAGE) which assists the Welsh Government with its commitment to embed equality into the budgetary process
- Assisted Cardiff Council with the implementation of the Strategic Equality Plan objectives within the Council
- Facilitating Cardiff Council’s BME Employees Group
- Assessment of community cohesion and social inclusion within minority groups living in the Vale of Glamorgan by the Community Cohesion Qualitative Research Project
- Collating information for WG Migrant Forum and the Wales Strategic Migration Partnership on the needs of Eastern European Roma communities
- Race Equality First developed a Gender Reassignment in the Workplace Policy for Cardiff Council. When we researched into this, we found that only the NHS, universities and 1 local authority in England, Warwickshire County Council, currently hold a Gender Reassignment Policy
- Race Equality First reviewed and revised the Council’s Domestic Abuse Workplace Policy
- Race Equality First has also contributed to a number of local authority and Welsh Government Equality Impact Assessments
- Partnership work with Cardiff Council’s Ethnic Minority and Traveller Achievement Service (EMTAS) to look at issues for EU Roma communities living in Cardiff and provide support for these communities through a drop-in at REF’s offices
- The Hate Crime Project Officer held discussions with 14 stakeholders which gave feedback about hate crime case management, partnership working and the development of hate crime MARACs in Cardiff.