BME Sports Cymru Project
Dates: June 2016 – June 2018
The 2-year BME Sport Cymru Project is funded by Sport Wales and aims to set up sporting activities for black and ethnic minority (BME) people living in Cardiff. This is to increase the number of BME people taking part in sport and physical activity. It also works with sporting bodies and organisations to increase career opportunities for BME people within sport. Wales Council for Voluntary Action (WCVA) is the lead partner and Race Equality First is the delivery partner in Cardiff.
- To increase participation in sport and physical activity amongst key groups from the BME communities in Cardiff.
- To co-ordinate opportunities for BME individuals and organisations to participate more frequently in sport and physical activities and work towards assisting them to integrate into mainstream activities.
- Deliver and support sport and physical activities for BME people of all ages (young people, adults and families).
- Co-ordinate and host events and training opportunities which will support the delivery of BME sports opportunities.
- Support individuals and organisations applying for funding for sports.
- Identify key issues and barriers that prevent BME people accessing sport and physical activities and develop actions to reduce or remove barriers.
- Develop links with mainstream clubs and National Governing Bodies to promote sustainable participation in sport and develop pathways of progression for BME volunteers, coaches and participants.